(Healthy) Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins








I've got to be honest here. I've been a snob about healthy baking, for all my adult life. I don't know where it stems from , but probably because a lot of my healthy baking adventures have not ended on a very nice note. Healthy baking has for me, a lot of times turned out to be bland, chewy, hard and nothing to rave about. All that has changed now, for better, for good. This recipe has been nothing but short of a miracle. It has no flour, no sugar, no oil and I'm so tempted to say no calories, but that would be a lie. But, but , but, it's definitely a healthier muffin than most you've had or made. Also, these taste great, and yes the kids will love em too. Tried and tested. Dear recipe, where have you been all my life?

So the great part about this recipe, apart from the million things I already told you about , is that you can make the batter in a blender. So big big thumbs up on that. It was super easy to make , and yeah once you have your ingredients ready and measured, it's just a matter of mins. Might be a great recipe to try together with a little kiddo, so all baking mamas, hope you heard me. I know that, coz I baked this with my 10 month old crawling around. Never too young to get them interested in cooking, is it?, specially em boys.






The recipe uses no flour, but oatmeal instead. I agree, I was a bit worried about the batter baking right at all, but it totally did. I used quaker multigrain oats, coz that's what I had lying around in my kitchen. That shouldn't lead you to believe I eat oats regularly, because I don't, in fact I've never tried them. This is from hubby's stash. Also, I prefer using crunchy peanut butter to creamy, in recipes that use peanut butter, even when it says creamy. So I did, even for this one. Turned out just fine and probably put in an extra crunch, but if you have creamy peanut butter lying around or that's what you prefer, go right ahead. Also, bananas. The recipes uses bananas, so don't throw away those over ripe bananas. They're just what you need here. I'm beginning to see, how these muffins are like a meal by themselves. Sound like a perfect Sunday morning breakfast deal.




So go ahead and give this recipe a good try. I'm so glad I stumbled on this recipe on Brendid. I can't wait to try out some more healthy recipes, specially ones that use readily available ingredients. God knows, I couldn't go hunting around for almond flour or applesauce.



Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins
Makes 15

Ingredients:

2-3 bananas , mashed
2 eggs
1/2 cup honey
1 cup milk
3/4 cup peanut butter
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 1/2 cups oats
4 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 baking soda


Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners. This batter will make 12 jumbo sized muffins, or about 18 if you use regular sized liners.
2. Start by blitzing the wet ingredients. So toss the bananas, eggs, honey, milk ,peanut butter and vanilla into the blender. Blitz till it looks well mixed.
3.In go the oats, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda. Blitz again till it comes together and looks like a cake batter, although coarse.
4. Mix with a spatula in between to make sure the batter is evenly mixed.
5. Put a scoop full of batter in each paper cup, that is about 3/4 full in the liner and bake for about 30 - 40 mins.
6. These muffins are perfect on their own and devilishly enjoyable.

Comments