Zucchini, Sweet Corn and Mushroom Soup





Ok . So new year means new enthusiasm for old promises. So that one, where I said I was going to eat healthy, yeah that challenge is back !!!! I couldn't help but whip up a bowl of soup for a weekday dinner. I have been trying various combinations and might I add, this one has been one of the most successful. The first time I tried it, I almost ended up gulping down the entire bowl myself, struggling to keep some for the foodie on duty. I know what you're thinking, "he musta been glad you didn't leave him any" but you got to trust me, he really liked it too. "Loved" might be a misleading term.


So, like the title says,  this is a zucchini, sweet corn and mushroom soup. You'd think its a weird combination, and I would have too, but one Monday evening, I opened my fridge to find exactly these three sitting side by side. Now, being in the spirit of healthy eating and renewed enthusiasm, I thought it was sane enough to try cooking all three together to whip up a soup. Got to tell you, sometimes these weird ideas can lead to beautiful things.


I followed my usual steps to making soup 1.Saute veggies in a little butter, 2. Add some herbs and seasonings. 3 Add a little rice, cook . 4. Blend to a soup. And this seems to be a fail proof procedure to end up with thick, creamy soup. Works every time!!!!!. For the seasoning, I added mixed dried herbs, you can go with oregano, pizza seasoning or all purpose seasoning.


I did garnish this soup with some bell peppers at the end, but that is totally optional...



Zucchini, Sweet Corn, Mushroom Soup .

Ingredients : 

1 zucchini, roughly chopped.
200 gm mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 cup sweet corn
1 tsp butter
1 tsp mixed dried herbs
2 tbsp raw basmati rice
salt and pepper to taste


1. In a vessel, heat the butter. Toss in the zucchini, sweet corn and mushrooms. Saute for about 5 minutes.
2. Add salt, pepper and dried herbs, mix well and cook for another 5 minutes.
3. Add the basmati rice, saute for a minute. Add 1 1/2 cups of water.
4. Bring to a boil and then let the veggies and rice cook covered on a low flame. till the rice is cooked.
5. Let the mixture cool down a bit. Blend it to a smooth paste.
5. Put back on a medium flame, adjust salt and add more water if you prefer a thinner consistency. Bring to a boil and serve hot.




Comments