Butter Mushroom Rice



I love mushrooms, and one of my favourite ways to eat them is to saute them in butter and salt and gobble  a whole bowl of it. That's all I need to do to enjoy a packet of mushrooms. That being said, I thought it would be nice to make some mushroom rice. This is probably the simplest recipe for mushrrom rice. It is fast, easy and delicious.

I wont lie, so it's true you can add a whole lot more butter and it'll only add to the taste, but I was trying to be a little health conscious and used "just" about a tablespoon. I've said it so many times before and I've got to say it again, I have my grandmother's cooking genes; so I had to add a maggie stock cube. Vegetarian stock cubes are available in Knor and Maggie, so you can use those, though I used a chicken stock cube I had handy.

This is a perfect weekday meal, and is complete on it's own, though I imagine, some creamy gravy would make a great companion. Make sure not to overcook the rice, letting it cook covered till the water dries up and letting it stay covered for a while for the rice to continue cooking in the steam even after you've turned off the heat.  I'm keeping the post short just like the recipe. So here goes.


Butter Mushroom Rice :

200 gms mushrooms, washed, cleaned and roughly chopped.
1 tbsp butter
1. 5 cups basmati rice, washed and drained
2 stalks of spring onions
1 stock cube

1.  Dissolve the stock cube in  3 cups of hot water. Keep aside.
2. Heat a pan, and toss in the butter. Add the mushrooms and spring onion whites and saute them for a couple of minutes.
2. Add the rice and saute for 2 more minutes. Add the stock water and stir well. Check salt.
3. Cover the pan and let the rice cook. This should take about 7-9 minutes.
4. Garnish with spring onion greens and serve hot.




Comments