Christmas Cocktails

About a month to go for Christmas!!!!!!!! Yayyyyyyyy!!!!!!! I'm in love with the sight of my home at night. My Christmas tree in the balcony, Christmas lights all over the house, Christmas decor's up and this year I made us some kinda Advent Calendar. For the 24 days before Christmas, I put down 24 Christmas activities for us , one for each day and I can't wait for Dec to get here. I'm sooooooooooo excited.





Today, I decided to put up a couple of cocktail recipes, well Christmas cocktail recipes, perfect for those Christmas parties. Last year I tried some pina coladas. Apart from the fact that I loaded them with alcohol ( which my guests didn't mind at all), they turned out a big hit at our Christmas party. So that's the first one I'm going to put up here. Also, I'm putting up a recipe for "blizzard", a cocktail made with bourbon whiskey. I've rarely had a cocktail with whiskey, so decided to try this recipe I found. And then the last one here is Christmas Mojito, it's a mojito with a splash of cranberry that makes it perfectly Christmasy. I'm putting recipes with measurements enough to make one, just double them or more to make many, and feel free to lessen or increase the quantities of any of the ingredients, to taste the way you like them.

So let's start with the Pina Colada. This has always been my favourite, it's just that great combination of pineapple and coconut that makes it very very yummmmm. I researched a lot of recipes before I finally decided to come up with one of my own, and it adds a very special ingredient, I can't call it a secret ingredient, coz it's no longer going to be a secret. That talked about ingredient IS . . . . A. . . . Wait for it. . .  . . . . scoop of vanilla ice cream . Yyyuupppp.. . . . . It's ice cream, it's got to taste good. Adding ice cream, makes the drink creamier and adds a great flavour to the drink. You cab definitely skip it if you think it's gonna be too heavy or something but if we're doing it my way it's got to have ice cream.


Pina coladas are very easy to make and require just about 5 ingredients; White Rum, pineapple, pineapple juice, coconut cream, and in my version ice cream. You can go ahead without the ice cream as well. I have tweaked the recipe a bit, so it's a bit different from the usual pina colada recipe, but this works great for me. Also remember, this recipe uses coconut cream and not coconut milk. Canned coconut cream is available in a lot of stores and it much thicker and creamier than coconut milk.


Here we go :

Pina coladas

Makes 1

2 Pineapple slices, cut into bits
50 ml White rum
30 ml Coconut Cream.
70 ml Pineapple Juice
3 tbsp of Vanilla Ice cream
Ice


Method :

1.  Place all ingredients in a blender and blend till smooth.
2. Pour in a tall glass and garnish with a slice of pineapple.



Moving on to the BLIZZARD. . . . This one uses Cranberry and Bourbon whiskey, such a classy combination. It's got a lovely  shade pink champagne. So prewwtty!!!!!!!!



Honestly, I'm not a big fan of Cranberry juice, and I thought this drink would be too sweet . . . . . .  But the whiskey totally balances it out. I used Bourbon whiskey that I had lying around, but if I didnt, maybe I try it using any other whiskey. Though all bourbon is whiskey, but not all whiskey is bourbon, making this cocktail with any whiskey should taste just as fine.

My verdict for this cocktail : It's classy, stylish and very christmasy.










Blizzard 

Makes 1

60 ml Bourbon
30 ml Cranberry juice
1 tbsp Lime juice
2 tbsp simple syrup
Slice of Lime
Handful of Ice

1. Put the ice in a glass
2. Put the lime juice, bourbon, syrup and cranberry juice in  a cocktail shaker and mix well.
3. Pour over the ice. 
4. Serve with a slice of lime



And now the Christmas Mojitos.  Making any drink Christmasy is that bottle of Cranberry juice. So this recipe is not very different from the usual recipe for a mojito, but with the addition of cranberry juice, I'm not sure how much classic mojito lovers will like this, considering it's a bit sweeter but I found it refreshing and yes the pink made it pretty......









Christmas Mojitos

Makes 1

Handful of mint leaves
50 ml white rum
60 ml soda
1 tsp lime juice
30 ml cranberry juice
Ice

1. Place the lime juice and mint leaves in your serving glass and mix them together , mashing the mint with the back of a spoon
2. Add the ice, rum and cranberry juice 
3. Top it up with soda.



 So there we go. . 3 easy peasy Christmas Cocktails. Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!! Watch this space for some more christmasy recipes.......... 

Comments