Fried Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich

If you've been following my blog for a while, you'll know by now, what limited knowledge I have when it comes to making breakfast. Yeah, I can fry dosas from a readymade batter, make idlis with that instant mix and make an english breakfast, toast, sausages and egg, and lets add, a few pancakes. I really don't have too many ideas when it comes to breakfast, so I keep looking for easy peasy breakfast recipes and yes they need to be fast, simple and yummmm.

This recipe if from Nigella Lawson's "Nigella Bites" . It's one of those cookbooks that is such fun to read, with little anecdotes, laughs and of course delicious, soulful food, like all of her other books. I can pick up a Nigella book, to read on a holiday or to spend a rainy afternoon. It's perfect.


Coming back to the recipe. It's peanut butter and banana, and while I'm not really a huge fan of peanut butter, I do have my occasional moments of actually enjoying it. But what really drew me to the recipe is that it is "Elvis Presley's recipe", Yes, you read that right. Nigella reveals, this recipe is from the book "Are you hungry tonight" which is a collection of Elvis's favourite food. And I love Elvis Presley!!!!!!! Can't get over that voice, it really tugs you. And no I can't get over those blue eyes either. Watching his charisma, sometimes I think I was born in the wrong decade..... Anyway.... So I already liked this recipe because of him and I gave it a go and I liked it.......... It made a great choice for a lazy weekend breakfast, not that it took long to make, but something about it, made it sound very Saturday morning.

It is very easy to make and needs only 4 ingredients, the name gives away all 4 ingredients, doesn't it.
Bread, peanut-,  butter, and banana. That's it. Though the recipe suggested smooth peanut butter, I went with chunky peanut butter, coz that's what I had, and I thought it'd give a nice crunch anyway and it did.

Starting with the bananas, use a ripe banana, and don't think of those even slightly under ripe ones. Just messes with the whole idea. I just sliced them, you could lightly mash it too, if you like. Next. toast the bread lightly, and then spread banana on one piece, and the peanut butter on another. It helped keeping the P.B. out of the fridge for a while, so I could spread it with ease.







  All I had to do was to sandwich them together and fry it in butter. This is the point at which, my dog ginger walked into the kitchen, following what I suppose was that heavenly aroma of butter, peanut butter and all. With those puppy eyes, looking at me with so much hope, I was tempted to make an extra one for him. Then of course, "don't feed the dog at the table"rule kicked in and I had to look away from those darling eyes.











The sandwich turns a nice golden brown, slicing into that crunch was my perfect Saturday breakfast was READY!!!!!!!!!!

Elvis Presley's Fried Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich

Makes 4

Ingredients:

2 ripe bananas
4 tbsp crunchy peanut butter( you can use smooth it you like)
8 slices white bread
3 tbsp butter

1. Slice the bananas
2. Lightly toast the bread. Spread a tbsp of peanut butter on one slice, arrange banana slices on another
3. Make 4 sandwiches like this, with the rest of the bread.
4. Heat butter in a pan, and fry the sandwiches in the butter, both sides, till they turn golden brown.



Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment